- 1 Can you lay laminate on plywood?
- 2 Do you need a moisture barrier for laminate flooring on plywood?
- 3 How do you prepare a wood subfloor for laminate flooring?
- 4 Do you need underlay for laminate flooring on wood?
- 5 What goes under laminate flooring on plywood?
- 6 Can you put laminate flooring down without underlayment?
- 7 What happens if you don’t use underlayment under laminate flooring?
- 8 Why do you need a moisture barrier for laminate flooring?
- 9 What kind of tape do you use for laminate underlayment?
- 10 How smooth does subfloor need to be for laminate?
- 11 How flat does subfloor need to be for laminate?
- 12 Should you lay plywood over plank subfloor?
- 13 Can you use normal underlay for laminate flooring?
- 14 What is the best thing to put under laminate flooring?
- 15 Does laminate flooring hurt resale value?
Can you lay laminate on plywood?
Laminate floors can be installed directly over concrete, plywood, OSB, parquet, vinyl and tile. The underlayment must be applied to the original flooring surface first, and then the floating floor can be installed.
Do you need a moisture barrier for laminate flooring on plywood?
Moisture protection will not have any benefit to laminate flooring on plywood as most plywood subfloors are usually installed on the main or second level of a house. If not, an underlayment with vapor barrier will block moisture from your flooring but not the plywood subfloor enabling rot.
How do you prepare a wood subfloor for laminate flooring?
Clean the Subfloor
- Step 1: Remove the Existing Flooring. Pull up the current floor.
- Step 2: Measure the Pieces. Check that your moisture barrier, underlayment plywood and plank fit under your door casing and door.
- Step 3: Clean the Subfloor.
- Step 4: Inspect the Moisture Level.
- Step 5: Secure Loose Boards.
Do you need underlay for laminate flooring on wood?
Underlayment for laminate flooring is a must. Since laminate is a floating floor, it must be evenly distributed across your subfloor. Underlayment is what allows the floor to float, gives it stability, support, noise reduction, and supports the locking systems in between planks to assure the sturdiest flooring project.
What goes under laminate flooring on plywood?
The normal choice is a thin foam pad material made of polyethylene or polypropylene, which rolls out in sheets. Plywood subfloors: A breathable foam-type underlayment is generally used when installing laminate flooring over plywood or OSB subfloors.
Can you put laminate flooring down without underlayment?
Underlayment is not optional. If your laminate planks don’t have it already attached, we recommend that you buy rolls of underlayment on which to install your laminate floor.
What happens if you don’t use underlayment under laminate flooring?
If the subfloor in your home or property is uneven, then your laminate floor could move and shift if it doesn’t have an underlayment for support. As a result, the floor will be more prone to wear-and-tear and could even warp.
Why do you need a moisture barrier for laminate flooring?
Vapor barriers should be used on a floor when the area is prone to moisture. When moisture penetrates your flooring, it can cause mold, mildew, and the potential for water damage. A moisture barrier helps control the water vapor’s movement to help protect your floors.
What kind of tape do you use for laminate underlayment?
We recommend to use duct tape as every hardware store carries this product. Some manufacturers sell specialized tape for underlayment but there is no extra benefit.
How smooth does subfloor need to be for laminate?
Tip. When leveling a floor for laminate, the floor needs to be even across the surface, not level from one side to the other. While bumps and dips in the subfloor require correcting, there’s no need to build up a smooth and even surface so that it’s also level from end to end.
How flat does subfloor need to be for laminate?
Most manufacturers recommend that the floor be flat to within 3/16” in a 10 ft. radius. These measurements are consistent with most other types of floor coverings. On floating floors, vertical movement needs to be kept to a minimum.
Should you lay plywood over plank subfloor?
Take time to make sure your existing planks are well secured in place. Repair any broken planks. Install a layer of at least ½” or preferably 5/8” ply over the existing planks. Like all wooden flooring products, it’s a good idea to acclimatise your plywood before laying it.
Can you use normal underlay for laminate flooring?
You absolutely cannot use carpet underlayment underneath laminate flooring. Installing laminate flooring over carpet underlayment will do more harm than good in the long run.
What is the best thing to put under laminate flooring?
Best underlay for laminate flooring is foam or cork. Best underlay for laminate flooring is foam because it is simple to install, it is a good sound barrier, and is very cost effective. Some best foams have attached additional layer which functions as the best moisture barrier.
Does laminate flooring hurt resale value?
There is not much difference in cost and ROI between solid hardwood flooring and engineered hardwood, but the same isn’t true of laminate flooring. Because of its lower price point, laminate also won’t do much for your home’s resale value.